As a pregnancy and postnatal specialist, and Mum of 3, I know only too well the aches, pains and discomfort associated with pregnancy.
Due to the physiological and biomechanical changes that occur during pregnancy added stress is put on the skeletal, myofascial and muscular systems of our body, this naturally results in muscles becoming weakened as they lengthen and others experiencing shortening and tightness. These changes often result in discomfort, pain and at times can effect movement and everyday tasks as stress is added to tissues and joints.
Benefits to massage during pregnancy are:
- Promoting relaxation for both Mum and baby
- Promoting better sleep
- Relieving back and pelvic pain
- Improving discomfort in the ribcage (this was so painful for me)
- Help relieve cramps/restless legs
- Aiding swollen hands and feet
- Helping relieve carpel tunnel syndrome
- Relieving piriformis pain
Most of this can be alleviated by massage therapy and movement based work.